The Doge's Palace is one of the main landmarks of Venice. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former republic and was built in 1340. The oldest part of the palace is the wing overlooking the lagoon, the corners of which are decorated with 14th century sculptures. The Doge's palace has been restructured and restored countless times throughout the course of its history.
Connecting the spectacular Doge’s Palace with the interrogation rooms of the city prison is the Bridge of Sighs, the bridge provided the prisoners with the last view of Venice that they’d see before their imprisonment. Lord Byron himself actually gave the bridge its current name – so called because of the sounds that prisoners would make as they crossed. Today, this bridge is one of the first things that visitors see when they arrive in Venice, and can actually be crossed by the brave.