By clicking any link on this page you are giving your consent for us to set cookies. For more information please see our Cookie Policy.

Will Brexit affect my holiday?

At Citalia, we’ve been using our expert local knowledge to help our customers discover the very best of Italy for nearly 90 years. That’s why we’re the leading Italian specialist.

How Brexit will affect your holiday to Italy?

Rest assured, when you book with Citalia, your booking will be ABTA and ATOL protected. This means all you need to do is look forward to your exciting trip. To find out more, take a look at these frequently asked questions for everything you need to know about your holidays after Brexit.

Will my booking still be protected financially after Brexit?

We are ABTA and ATOL protected. If you book a package holiday with Citalia, you will receive the most comprehensive travel protection possible. This includes the right to a full refund in the unlikely event that your holiday to Italy cannot be fulfilled due to Brexit.

Will flights be grounded?

The European Commission has stated that no aircraft will be grounded, even if no deal is reached. ABTA has already announced that those who are unable to travel due to Brexit will be refunded.

Will I still be able to fly?

 According to the European Commission, UK airlines will still be able to operate in the event of a no-deal scenario. It would not be in the interest of any EU country or the UK to restrict the choice of destinations that could be served by EU or UK airlines, but in the event that any disruption does occur, your booking with Citalia will be fully ABTA and ATOL protected.

Will the price of my confirmed booking change after Brexit?

No, don’t worry. Once you have paid and received confirmation of your booking, the price cannot be altered. This is part of Citalia’s code of conduct as an ABTA and ATOL registered tour operator.

Will I need a new passport?

If you’re travelling to Europe from 1 January 2021 you may need to renew your British passport so be sure to check that you have enough time left on your passport to travel. The UK government recommends that you have at least six months left on your passport on the date you travel and it must be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left). For more information, go to the government’s passport checker

Will I need a Visa?

The European Commission has confirmed that you won’t need to apply for a visa if you’re travelling to Europe.

How might my insurance be affected by Brexit?

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC. When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure. Further advice on travel insurance can be found on ABTA's travel insurance information web page.

Will hotels decline bookings?

At Citalia, we would be unable to complete a booking with a hotel that cannot honour our booking agreement. In the unlikely event of this happening to an existing booking, rest assured, our package holidays are ABTA and ATOL protected, so we will be able to provide you with a suitable alternative or refund. [H3]: Will I need an additional permit alongside a UK driver’s license? If you hold a full driver’s licence you can currently drive in Europe. Should a no-deal scenario take place post-March, UK drivers may need to obtain an International Driving Permit for some European countries, however, this is not yet certain. For further details you can visit the government website for driving permit information and EU driving guidance.

Green cards for car insurance

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens wishing to drive their own vehicle within the EU will be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards will be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs. Speak with your insurer for more information on obtaining a Green Card for any trip on or after 29 March 2019.

Essential information for UK nationals travelling to the EU

The following links contain the latest updates for UK nationals travelling and living in Europe:

For further advice on Brexit please visit the ABTA website.

Please see our Terms and Conditions here and read the section: 11. Visa, Health, Passport, Travel Documentation.

For advice on entry requirements for the destination of your choice, visit the the government's Foreign Travel Advice web page.

Or give us a call and one of our Italy Experts will provide you with all the helpful advice you need to enjoy your amazing holiday.

Feefo review image

What our customers think

We have been helping our customers discover the real Italy for 90 years now. Our experience and expertise, together with our attention to detail and personal touch, really does make us the leading Italian holiday specialist

Ask for Quote
Request a Brochure